The IT Service Desk
The IT service desk supports the UCT community with any ICT issues they may be having. The service desk is manned by experienced and competent support staff who rotate through different teams such as Helpdesk, Onsite support, Research & Development, Installations, etc. When you log a call with the IT service desk, a consultant will contact you and, should they need to, the consultant may remotely access your computer in order to help you solve your problem. In some cases, a consultant will be dispatched to your location to help you onsite. The IT service desk is also responsible for testing new software before its release to campus. They run the Front Office on upper campus.
How to get support
Log a call
ICTS uses ServiceNow to manage all ICT service requests at UCT. Staff members can use ServiceNow Customer View to log support calls, place orders and manage their ICT requests. ServiceNow Customer View is accessible from computers, tablets, smart phones and other mobile devices.
- Navigate to https://uct.service-now.com/ess.
- Log on using your UCT username and password.
- Select the service for which you are logging a request (e.g. Security).
- Select the relevant option.
- If there are sub-options, select the relevant sub-option.
- Fill out each section of the page then click Submit.
- On the Incident page, if you have any additional comments or detail you'd like to add, enter it in the Additional comments text box.
- If you'd like your IT Liaison or another colleague to keep an eye on the call, add him / her to the request's Watch list and click Update.
- Your request will be logged with ICTS.
NOTE: you can also check and manage your calls and orders in ServiceNow.
We no longer manually answer or handle email sent to the firstname.lastname@example.org address. Instead, our call management system, ServiceNow, automatically processes the request based on the sender’s email address. This means that if you log a call via email on behalf of someone else, the call will be logged on your name as it originates from your address. Likewise, if someone logs a call for you, you will not receive the follow-up messages as it would have been logged as their call.
For this reason, we encourage you to rather log an online call through ServiceNow.
You can phone the IT Service Desk if logging an online call is not possible or if you have an urgent incident that needs to be dealt with without delay.
- Call 021 650 4500 (extension 4500 from campus).
- For normal calls, select option 1 and for classroom support calls, option 2.
NOTE: Wherever possible, log a call online and we will assist you as soon as possible.