Access to services
As a student, your access to services, systems and buildings at UCT is dependent on your application or student status. Your physical access to buildings is related to your course enrolment and continues until 15 days after the course ends (to cover the exam period) or after you withdraw from the course.
Your access to various UCT systems begins when you apply and will be removed when you conclude your studies at UCT. This means that at the end of your course of study (either through dismissal, non-completion or successful graduation) you will no longer have access to UCT systems, apart from your email account, which you have for life.
Systems you have access to:
- F: and G: network drives
- eduroam wireless
- printing services
A username and password combination is used to log on (authenticate) to the systems and services you will be using at the university. In most cases, you'll use your student number (username) and your network password. However, some systems use slightly different usernames or passwords and this can be confusing, so we have created the following table as a guide.
|System or service||Use this username to log on||Use this password to log on|
|eduroam wireless email@example.com||UCT password|
|Internet access - wired firstname.lastname@example.org||UCT password|
|Internet access - email@example.com||UCT password|
|UCT eResearch firstname.lastname@example.org||UCT password|
|The Mesh (Law users)||email@example.com||UCT password|
|Email for Undergraduate, Honours and Masters Students (myUCT)||firstname.lastname@example.org||UCT password|
|lynda.com (accessible via lynda.uct.ac.za)||UCT username||UCT password|
|Password Self-service||UCT username||UCT password|
|Student Administration Self-service||UCT username||UCT password|
|EZProxy||UCT username||UCT password|
|Vula||UCT username||UCT password|
|NetStorage||UCT username||UCT password|
|ServiceNow Customer View||UCT username||UCT password|
|ICTS website Downloads page||UCT username||UCT password|
- For support with ICTS-managed services (network drives, NetStorage, connectivity and email) you can contact us in a number of ways. You can:
- For non-ICTS managed services (PeopleSoft, printing and Vula), the service owners have separate helpdesks which are detailed below.
- PeopleSoft: PeopleSoft is the online self-service student administration system used at UCT. For assistance, contact the SSS Helpdesk via email, telephone (X5227 or 4720) or log an online call.
- Campus Copy and Print: UCT students have an array of print & copy services available to them through Nashua machines located within the various labs, libraries and document centres on campus. These are managed by Nashua’s Campus Copy and Print solution. If you have any problems, you can contact the Nashua Helpdesk between 08:00 and 16:30 on business days on 021 650 4813/ 021 650 4813 or email email@example.com.
- Vula: Vula is an online collaboration and learning environment used to support UCT courses as well as other UCT-related groups and communities. Vula is not an ICTS service, therefore, should you require additional information or have a query, you can either go to the Vula website or contact the Vula team via email firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 021 650 5500.