Mobile data rollout for April
Mobile networks will start the next data allocations from Wednesday 31 March 2021. Telkom will only start rolling out data to their subscribers from 2 April 2021. These roll-outs will take several days.
Students back in res will not receive mobile data bundles from UCT
Please note that if you are now in your res, you will no longer qualify for mobile data top-ups as you now have access to UCT’s WiFi service – eduroam.
To connect to the service, please follow the instructions on the ICTS website.
Make sure your number is up to date
If you have changed your South African mobile number since the last data allocation, please make sure you update the SA Cellular field in PeopleSoft by Monday 29 March 2021 at 16:00. If your correct mobile number is not saved in the SA Cellular field, you will not receive a data bundle, even if your number is in another field.
- Log on to PeopleSoft with your student number and password.
- Click Profile > Contact Details.
- Under the Phone section, ensure that SA Cellular is listed as the type next to your updated mobile number.
- Please enter the number in the format 0XXXXXXXXX where the X’s represent the last 9 digits of your cell phone number after the 0, e.g. 0825551234.
- Also please ensure that on the Biographic tab the Mobile Data Bundles section is set to Yes.
Please opt out if you no longer require data
Despite the high cost of data, the university has been able to purchase data for students who don’t have access to online resources. However, if you already have access to these resources (e.g. via eduroam, WiFi at home, or you can afford to buy your own data), please opt out of receiving future data bundles from UCT. The more money UCT saves, the more students we can assist.
Log on to PeopleSoft with your student number and password.
- Click the Biographic tab and in the Mobile Data Bundles section, select No.
Thank you to everyone who has already opted out.