Using Vidyo at UCT
Vidyo is a software-based video conferencing service provided by UCT’s bandwidth provider, TENET.
Benefits of using Vidyo
- Works with Linux and other major operating systems: Along with Windows and Mac computers, you can also use Vidyo on Linux computers. For mobile devices, Android and iOS clients are available.
- Minimal bandwidth requirements: While Vidyo works well in normal and high bandwidth environments, it is also designed to operate when very little bandwidth is available. This makes it ideal if you're on a slow connection or have limited bandwidth – though image quality will be lower in such cases.
- Perfect for low-movement presentations: Because Vidyo operates well in low-bandwidth environments, it’s very effective for conferences that are based around static images – such as webinars or shared slideshows.
- Better support and quality: Unlike internationally-based video conferencing tools like WebEx, NetMeeting and Zoom, Vidyo’s servers are based locally – providing for better support and video quality.
Set up Vidyo
- Download and install the Vidyo client.
- Log on using these details:
- VidyoPortal: http://uct-vc.tenet.ac.za
- Username: your UCT username
- Password: your UCT password
How to use Vidyo
To get yourself up to speed with using Vidyo, read the documentation listed below or watch the videos.
|Documentation (PDFs)||Short videos|
Vidyo is not a UCT or ICTS product – hence we cannot offer full support for the service. However, if you require assistance with Vidyo, we will assist where possible: