What to do after you change your password
When you change your UCT password, your new password is automatically synchronised across the network – so you don't need make any changes in other systems. However, if you’ve saved your password in a program or a device (e.g. in your email client or mobile phone), you’ll need to update your password in those places.
Update your password in these programs and devices
Review the list below and if you’ve saved your password in any of these programs or devices, follow the instructions to update the password.
Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and other browsers will automatically prompt you to enter your username (email@example.com) and new password the first time you access the Internet after changing your password.
If your Windows workstation password is not synced with your UCT network password (i.e. your Novell login) you will need to update your Windows workstation password.
- Log on to Windows using your old password.
- Click Start orb then right-click Computer and select Manage.
- In the Computer Management window:
- Select Local Users and Groups.
- In the right-hand pane, double-click Users.
- Right-click your Windows workstation account (e.g. Administrator) and select Set Password....
- Click Proceed... (But if you use encrypted files, click Cancel and use your Password Reset disc.)
- Enter your New password, confirm it, then click OK.
WiFi settings on wireless devices
- Consult the WiFi setup article and find the manual setup instructions for your device.
- Modify your eduroam connection then update the password to your new network password.
Mobile device mailbox settings
If you access your email via your mobile device:
- Consult the instructions for setting up your UCT mailbox on your mobile device.
- Modify your mailbox settings then update the password to your new network password.
Telephony software and device
Your IP phone uses your network username and password to authenticate you on the network. When you set up the phone and installed Lync / Skype for Business, you entered these credentials. After updating your password, update the credentials:
Step 1: Update your Lync / Skype for Business credentials
Sign out of Lync / Skype for Business:
- Click Delete my sign-in info and confirm the deletion.
- Click Sign In.
- Sign in with your credentials - including your new password:
Step 2: Update your IP phone credentials
In your computer's system tray, check that the BToE client is running. If it's not running, double-click the Polycom BToE Connector 2.3.0 icon on your desktop.
- On your IP phone, sign out and then sign in again:
- Press More > Sign Out and confirm the sign out.
- Press More > Sign In, then scroll down and select Paired Lync Client.
- On your computer, confirm your sign-in information and sign in:
- A notification in your system tray confirms that BToE is activated and your IP Phone display will show that you are signed in.
Fix WebDAV in Vula after your network password has changed
If your WebDAV link to Vula returns a "You do not have permission to access this site" error after you’ve changed your network password, then update the WebDAV links to your Vula site(s) as follows:
Step 1 will delete all saved passwords - not just the ones you used for WebDAV.
Step 1: Delete all stored passwords from your browser
- Open Internet Explorer. (Even if you don't use IE for accessing the Internet)
- Select Tools > Internet Options.
- On the General tab, under Browsing history, click Delete...
- In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, select Passwords then click Delete.
- Close the Internet Options dialog box.
Step 2: Delete the WebDAV link
- In Windows Explorer, access your WebDAV folder.
- Right-click the folder and select Disconnect.
- Reboot your computer.
Step 3: Re-create your WebDAV directory
- In Vula, access the Help section and search for WebDAV.
- Follow the instructions for your operating system.
- When you are re-creating the link(s):
- Select Connect using different credentials.
- Enter your staff number only (i.e. no "@wf" after your staff number) and your new network password.
- Uncheck the Remember your password checkbox.
Staff, third parties and masters, doctoral and postdoctoral students
Undergraduate, honours and postgraduate diploma students