lynda.com’s extensive online training library
lynda.com offers high-quality instructional videos taught by recognised industry experts. The content, which covers topics such as software, design and business skills, ranges from beginner to advanced levels and is available 24/7 on PCs, laptops, tablets and smart phones. The information provided is kept up to date and is presented in a concise, yet easy-to-understand way.
With thousands of videos to choose from, lynda.com gives you the freedom to improve your current skill set and gain new skills - be it learning software or developing new soft skills. You can select which training method you prefer: either a short video to help you with “just in time” learning; or one of the certified, extensive training courses complete with exercises.
All staff and students may access this vast online training library on or off campus.
Set up your lynda.com profile
If you intend to use the lynda.com mobile app, please complete this initial setup using a laptop or desktop computer. Once the initial setup is complete, you can access lynda.com via the mobile app.
- Go to http://lynda.uct.ac.za and enter your UCT credentials on the UCT single sign-on screen.
- Click Sign In.
- If you have never had a lynda.com account before, select No, I've never had an account.
- Create your lynda.com profile by entering your name and UCT email address, then clicking Save.
- Your lynda.com profile is created and you can now use the site.
- If you already have a lynda.com account, select I've had an account.
- Enter your previous lynda.com login details.
- Select Transfer my history.
- Confirm your first name, last name and UCT email address and click Save.
- Your historical data (playlists, course history, certificates, etc) will be transferred to your new lynda.com profile.
In future, when you access lynda.com, use your UCT username and password (i.e. not your previous lynda.com login credentials).
After setting up your lynda.com profile, you can access lynda.com from any Internet-connected location - even if you're off campus.
Access lynda.com from your computer
Navigate to http://lynda.uct.ac.za and log on using your UCT username and password.
Note: If you're already logged on to another of UCT's Single Sign-On services (such as Vula), you won't need to enter your login credentials. Simply navigate to http://lynda.uct.ac.za and you will be taken to your lynda.com profile.
Access lynda.com from your mobile device
- Install the lynda.com mobile app for your mobile device.
- Launch the app.
- On the login screen, select Organization -> Web Portal.
- Enter uct.ac.za and tap Log in.
- If you're prompted to open a web browser, do so.
- Enter your UCT credentials and tap Log in.
Download courses or videos to your mobile device
You can save lynda.com videos onto your mobile device for offline viewing later. This is especially handy when you don't have an internet connection, or you don't have enough mobile data to download entire videos or courses. Your only limit is the amount of free space on your mobile device.
- While connected to eduroam (or another internet connection), use the app to find a course you're interested in.
- Under the course title, tap Download.
- To download the entire course, tap Download all. Or to download individual videos, tap the download icon next to the video you want to save.
For FAQs and assistance with downloading videos to your device, visit the lynda.com help page.