Factors to consider when choosing a headset
Headsets are a convenient way to use telephony services when using the IP telephones. Before purchasing a headset, you should consider various factors, including:
- the privacy of your office environment,
- the noise factor in your office,
- the number of calls you make and receive, and
- whether you're office-bound or travel regularly.
After taking these factors into account, decide which features you need in a headset:
|Noise-cancellation mic||This feature cancels out any noises that may otherwise disturb your calls. It’s ideal for open plan offices.|
|Bluetooth or wireless||
This headset is ideal if you’re often away from your desk but need still to make and receive calls. Bear in mind that the headset operates on battery power, so it’s best to choose a model that offers at least 10 hours of talk time.
For Bluetooth headsets, if you’ll be using the headset outside, check that the headset is rated for outdoor use. This will cancel out wind, traffic and any other outdoor noises.
|Wired or USB||This headset is ideal if you’re desk-bound and make or receive a lot of calls. It’s generally more comfortable than a Bluetooth headset – especially when using it for extended periods of time.|
|Mono or single speaker headset||This headset contains just one speaker, so you can keep it on even when having a face-to-face conversation with someone in your office.|
Order a headset from ICTS Acquisitions services
You can purchase the following headset models from ICTS:
|Model||Channels||Wireless?||Noise cancellation?||Outdoor use?||Talk time|
|Plantronics Blackwire C310-M||1 (Mono)||No||Yes||No||N/A|
|Plantronics Blackwire C325||2 (Stereo)||No||Yes||No||N/A|
|Plantronics M90 - Bluetooth Headset||1 (Mono)||Yes||Yes||No||11 hours|
|Plantronics Explorer 50 - Bluetooth Headset||1 (Mono)||Yes||Yes||Yes||11 hours|
To request a quote or make a purchase, contact ICTS Acquisitions or log a call with the IT Helpdesk (Hardware and Software Acquisitions > Request a Quote). In your request, provide the following information:
- The details of the headset/s you wish to purchase.
- The cost centre and fund number to be used for the purchase. (You'll need permission from your fund holder to use the fund.)
- Whether or not you'll require delivery and installation.
- The details of the person for whom the goods are intended. (For delivery purposes, include the person's building name, room number and phone extension.)