Email nicknames at UCT
A nickname is an alternate email address for an existing mailbox - it is not an additional mailbox. Nicknames provide an email address that is used for functional purposes e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org. It is not to be used as an alternate email address for an individual in order to circumvent the UCT email naming standard.
Nicknames should be used for a functional purpose; particularly when the email is destined for a business unit or group, rather than a specific person. This makes nicknames ideal for:
- a conference email address
- a departmental email address
- an address to be published on a web page
Messages sent to nicknames are automatically filed into a folder, which can be shared with other mail users. An added benefit is that the nickname address continues, even when the individual responsible for processing that mailbox leaves, ensuring continuity and reducing the need to re-advertise an email address.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send emails from the nickname email address?
Nicknames are primarily for the receipt of email, not for sending email, however the nickname can be configured to send mail if this is required for functional purposes.
Who can request a nickname?
Nicknames must be requested by a permanent member of staff and can be linked to either a staff or Third Party email account. Nicknames will not be allocated to students or be linked to their accounts.
Once allocated, the owner of the nickname must:
- manage all mail sent to the nickname;
- notify ICTS when a nickname is no longer required;
- notify ICTS when a nickname should be transferred to another individual.
How are nicknames allocated?
- On request only.
- On a first-come, first-served basis.
- According to the nickname naming standard.
How do I request a nickname?
- First read the nickname naming standard.
- Use the nickname naming standard to determine what the nickname should be called, plus two alternatives (in case your chosen nickname already exists).
- Log a call with the IT Helpdesk and provide the following information:
- The requested nickname and possible alternatives.
- The mailbox (staff number or Third Party number) to which the nickname needs to be linked.
- The expiry date of such a nickname, should this be a temporary nickname.