Customer Services Division
The Customer Services Division (CSD) in the Information and Communication Technology Services (ICTS) department is responsible for a number of customer-facing services, namely the IT Helpdesk, the Classroom Support Services Helpdesk, the University switchboard, student computer lab management services, ICT acquisition and installation, service level agreements and communicating with the University community on behalf of ICTS. The Customer Services Division also offers desktop support and training to UCT staff and post-graduate students.
Classroom Support Services (CSS)
This team services all centrally-bookable classrooms on UCT's upper, middle and lower campuses. They provide both reactive support (such as repairing faulty equipment) and proactive support which helps to reduce technical faults that would otherwise impact on teaching time.
The CSS team is responsible for installation, upgrades, maintenance and repairs of all audio-visual and IT equipment in centrally-bookable classrooms.
- The CSS Helpdesk team manage calls related only to centrally-bookable classrooms.
- The CSS onsite response group assists with equipment and technical matters in centrally-bookable classrooms.
- The CSS maintenance and installation team works with vendors and outsourced providers to ensure audio-visual equipment remains operational.
- The CSS team maintains the online classroom information database.
IT Helpdesk and ICTS Front Office
This team logs, routes and actions all logged calls, including those for voice services.
It conducts testing, research & development and provides support to Windows, MAC and Linux users.
- Log, route and resolve incidents, service requests, complaints and queries logged by customers – at 1st and 2nd level for IT
- First level user support
- Hardware maintenance
- IT installation
- IT vendor liaison
- Driver deliveries and collections
- R&D and testing
- Customisation of desktop software (e.g. MS Office)
- Windows, Linux and Mac desktop support
- ICTS Reception – greeting and routing customers to the appropriate service point
- Public fax services
- Drop off & collection point for customers for hardware (e.g. for repairs) and software (e.g. installation CDs)
Student Computing Services
This team supports student computing, primarily by managing faculty and residence computer labs.
- Student lab management
- Relationship management and support for UCT staff who support students directly in residences or elsewhere
- Support for students wanting to connect their PCs to the UCT network
Training & Communications
This team provides ICT marketing, communication, user documentation and training services on behalf of ICTS.
- Communication – proactive, reactive, external and internal
- ICTS web site content development and maintenance
- End-user documentation
- Public relations and marketing
- IT training on Microsoft products and UCT-specific systems
- Development of training materials for UCT-specific systems
- Internal staff development and training initiatives for ICTS staff members
- Customer relationship management (faculty IT committee members, directory managers and ITLs)
- Computer-based testing services
This team answers and routes all phone calls coming in via the general UCT number.
- Professionally handle telephone calls coming into the central switchboard
- Provide accurate and creative responses to customer requests
- Route calls appropriately
- Co-ordinate emergency responses to campus in the event of a disruption to campus
- Maintain a high-level of organisational knowledge and understanding